And why not?
The vegetable is more than just a flavourful herb added to food. Raw garlic has several natural compounds, such as allicin that help people to keep them in good health, and that also aid in the prevention of some serious health complications.
Eating Raw Garlic; a Pill That Should Be Part of Your Everyday Routine
Eating the veggie may not sound very enticing, but once you get to know the benefits of eating raw garlic in kicking out germs, you will not wince at its smell any more. One of the quickest answers I could think of why you should have raw garlic is because of its potent anti-infection formula.
Raw garlic health benefits include treating cold and flu, sore throat, mastitis, killing pinworms, ear infection, balance bile flow, immune stimulation etc. …and you know why?
Garlic contains a rare chemical, Allin
When you chew raw garlic, allin is converted into another compound known as allicin. Allicin is the only chemical that has highest decomposing rate and hence produces rapid acidic compound that quickly destroys free radicals.
“Free radicals are nothing but by-products of digestion that eventually breaks down into harmful toxins that is expelled from liver and other organs. Free radicals, if not treated correctly, can damage cellular membranes and DNA, accelerate ageing and raise your risk of several risky diseases, including cancers of prostrate, breast, colon, etc.”
Recommendations to Consume Raw Garlics
When to Eat Raw Garlic?
Raw garlic is most effective when consumed in a particular way. For example chewing is the best way to activate allicin enzyme. Before you consume garlic, crush it and let it be exposed to air for 5 – 10 minutes so as to activate allin totally.
Eating Garlic on Empty Stomach
Furthermore, the best time to eat the herb is before your breakfast. Garlic is natural antibiotic and the benefits of eating raw garlic on empty stomach include;
- Most bacteria are exposed during early mornings and they easily succumb to the power of Allicin.
- It stimulates digestion and appetite.
- Relives hypertension and controls stress hormones by preventing stomach acid that is usually produced when you get nervous.
- It aids in blood circulation and proves to be a reliable cure for diarrhoea
- Some people also claim that garlic on empty stomach is a good treatment for nerve problems.
Know the goodness of empty stomach: Why We Should Drink Warm Lemon Water in the Morning , 8 Reasons Why Yoga is Practiced on an Empty Stomach
Best Ways To Eat Raw Garlic
Now that you know when you should consume the super herb, it is also good to understand how to eat raw garlic without causing bad breath and mouth burns.
- Chop garlic in to smaller pieces and swallow with any drink (milk preferably) of your choice. You can also add them in your meal.
- Crush a small clove of garlic with your molars and gently press it down till the juice oozes out and goes down your throat. You can spit the garlic later on.
9 Health Benefits of Raw Garlic
Although, raw garlic is most effective in empty stomachs, you can also consume them anytime of the day to revel in the below mentioned health benefits of raw garlic.
P.S. – However, limit your garlic intake to 3 – 4 Pods a day. (Read Common Problems Below)
- Destroys Fungus – Allicin is known to kill fungal growth hence raw garlic is used for treating fungal infection.
- Reduces Blood Pressure – Higher dose of raw garlic is as good as prescribed medicine for severe hypertension.
- Lowers Heart Diseases – Raw garlic significantly thins blood, which aids in the prevention of heart diseases, blood clots, strokes and heart attacks.
- Lowers Cholesterol Level – Regular consumption also reduces Total and LDL cholesterol by 9 -12 percent.
- Prevents Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease – Garlic’s antioxidant properties support body’s mechanism against oxidative stress such as cell damage, ageing, Alzheimer’s and Dementia.
- Prevents Cancer – Certain cancers like that of oesophagus, stomach, colon, pancreas, stomach and breast can be stopped from happening by regular intake of raw garlic.
- Increases Longevity and Immune System – Stronger immunity helps you to live longer. The Antiviral properties present in raw garlic significantly help revitalising immune system that helps fight vital infections and diseases powerfully.
- Helps to Detoxify Heavy Metals – Three doses of garlic each day have shown to protect people from heavy metal toxicity (e.g.: Excessive exposure to lead).
- Improves Bone Health – Garlic increases oestrogen levels (especially in women) which promote good bone and joint health.
Common Problems While Eating Raw Garlic
Too much of anything is also not good for your system and this also extends to eating garlic as well.
1) How to Prevent Stomach Burns, Nausea and Acidity
Some stomachs cannot withstand raw garlic’s mega reactive power. It is recommended that they go easy while consuming the herb. Such individuals can limit the consumption to one or two pods of raw garlic followed by a tall glass of milk per day.
Garlic overdose can also lead to nausea, diarrhoea, stomach burning and vomiting. It is hence recommended to start eating garlic in small quantities and increase the amount with time.
Relevant Post: Top 11 Foods to Eat When Nauseous (+How to consume Them)
2) How to Reduce Garlic Odour
Garlics have strong odour which can cause nausea to some or many. Hence, chew two or three sprigs of parsley after having garlic to minimize the effects of pungent smell.
Body odour is one of the many side effects of too much of garlic, which you can tackle by:
- significantly ignore the smell if you are all by yourself,
- use tons of deodorant when in the company of people
- definitely not recommended for a romantic night out.
3) How to Treat Bad Breath
Chewing cardamom seeds, rubbing fresh sage leaves vigorously on your teeth and even raw garlic added to yoghurt are recommended potent breath fresheners that minimise Garlic Breath.
4) Garlic’s Reaction with Drugs
Garlics can also disrupt the activities of anti-coagulants. So if you are scheduled for a surgery, it is suggested to stop having the vegetable a few days prior to it. Garlics can also react with certain other drugs such as warfarin, anti-hypertensives and anti-platelets. People who use blood thinners should limit to 1 Pod a day.
Therefore, consult a doctor if you are on these drugs or any other medication.
Do you eat raw garlics? If yes don’t forget to share your raw garlic story with us in comments.