It does not matter how many years have gone by or whether you are a toddler, a grumpy old lady or a dog (though unfortunately you cannot read my article), watching the snow fall is splendidly thrilling, let alone play in it and build pointy-nosed snowman. With that said this year I intend to play with the snow but in my kitchen instead, and create a magical dessert – have you tried snow ice-cream yet?
With 4-5 simple ingredients, some whipping and stirring and just a tad bit of sprinklers learn how to make snow ice-cream of different delightful flavours. What’s appreciating? The core ingredient is absolutely available aplenty.
And, it is absolutely safe to use organic snow, but make sure you scoop freshly fallen ones. It is healthier if you place a bowl outside just before a snowstorm and there you go best fresh organic snow for your kitchen.
It started with…
Last year while shovelling tons of snow from my driveway, the idea struck me as to why instead of wasting away the snow, can we not use it? And hence, the following week at my small house gathering, I made coconut snow cream for my 20 odd guests. And they loved it!
So here we go…
You can try these for the winter season 23 Mouth Watering Fresh Fruit Salad Ideas (That Aren’t Boring!)
How to make snow ice cream (11 recipes)
1) The Ever Classic Vanilla
- Snow – 8 cups (1/2 c less or more)
- Sweetened Condensed Milk – 1 can ( 14 Ounces)
- Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp.
- Take a large mixing bowl, add condensed milk and vanilla essence and blend together.
- Now add the snow, 1 cup at a time, and continually stir and mash it until you get a rich creamy ice texture. (Adjust the measurement as per to the texture).
- Serve immediately. Else cover the bowl and place it in snow for late serving
like cakes? you may also find this interesting 23 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas You Need To Try Right Now
2) Pink Barbie Snow Cone
- Snow – 1 and ¼ cups (10 Ounces)
- Wedding Cake Snow Cone Syrup – 2 ounces
- Pink Bubble Snow Cone Syrup – 2 ounces
- Your Favourite Topping
- Add crushed snow to a big mixing bowl
- Now start pouring wedding cake essence slowly on top of the snow; mix softly without changing the flaky texture.
- Once done, add the pink bubble syrup in the same manner
- Serve the snow ice cream on a cone and sprinkle it with your favourite topping (edible glitter, tuti-fruity or nuts)
3) Mushy Strawberry
- Snow – 8 to 9 Cups
- Condensed Milk – I can (14 Oz.)
- Strawberry Jam – 1/3 Cup
- Mix together sweetened condensed milk and strawberry jam
- Now blend the snow into the mixture, 1 cup at a time.
- Stir gently till you get the desired ice cream consistency
- Top it with sprinklers and serve chilled (you can also garnish with strawberry crushed)
4) Banana Shaved Ice Snow Cone
- Snow – 16 oz ( Cups)
- Condensed Milk – 4 oz. (1/2 Cup)
- Banana Flavoured Syrup – 1 -2 oz.
- Take a large bowl, Blend together banana syrup and condensed milk
- Now add Snow little by little in the bowl and mix well
- Give a stir and garnish the dessert with desired topping. (I used sprinklers again)
- Alternatively, you can also mix cream and snow first together and just before serving pour the syrup on top.
5) Coconut Snow Cream
- Snow – 8 Cups
- Condensed Milk – 14 oz. (1 can)
- Thick Coconut Extract – 2 tsp
- Shredded Coconut and Cut Strawberries for Garnish – ½ Cup
- In a large mixing bowl add condensed milk, coconut extract and shredded coconut and mix well.
- Now add the Snow, I cup at a time and bring to an ice cream consistency.
- Serve in a pre-chilled glass along with chopped strawberries on top.
6) Taiwanese Shaved Snow
Taiwanese Shaved Snow is a very renowned dessert that’s very delicious and has an unmatched taste. Here’s how to make snow ice cream in Taiwanese style.
- Snow – 4 cups
- Condensed Milk – 4 tbsp.
- Fruit Pulp made from 2 cup mango or 2 cup kiwi
- ½ cup dark brown sugar and 1/3 cup water for Syrup
- Strawberry slices – 4
- To make the syrup, take a saucepan and add both ingredients. Heat in high flame and stir continuously until the sugar dissolves. Turn off the flame as soon as everything is dissolved. Set aside to cooldown.
- Now for the snow ice cream, take a bowl and mix the condensed milk and fruit pulp.
- Add the snow 1 cup at a time along with the sugar syrup.
- Serve chilled garnished with strawberry slices.
- Alternatively you can also create a layered ice-cream by adding the ingredients in the order – Snow – Condensed milk – Syrup – Cut mangoes, kiwis and strawberries.
7) Maple Syrup Snow
- Snow – 4 Cups
- Full Fat Milk – 1 cup
- Pure Maple Syrup – ¼ Cup
- Peanuts or any nuts for garnish or additional maple syrup
- Combine Milk and Maple Syrup and stir together.
- Add the snow little by little and simultaneously mix till you reach the creamy texture of ice-cream
- Serve cold topped with crushed peanuts or a tinge of maple syrup.
8) Delicious Chocolate
- Snow – 8 cups
- Condensed Milk – 14 oz. or 1 can
- Vanilla Syrup – 1 tsp.
- Cocoa powder – 5 tsp.
- Jellies and Banana slices for garnishing
- Take a large mixing bowl and stir together condensed milk, vanilla extract and cocoa powder evenly without forming any lumps.
- Now little by little add the snow until you get the creamy texture of ice-cream.
- Delicious Chocolate Snow ice-cream is ready. Serve with your desired garnish.
9) Mixed Berry Snow Cone
- Snow – 4 cups
- Raspberry Syrup – 6 tsp
- Blueberry Syrup – 6 tsp
- Strawberry Syrup – 6 tsp
- Cinnamon or Nutmeg powder – few pinches
- Berries for garnishing
- In a large bowl, add the three syrups and powder.
- Now mix the snow carefully. Smash well till you see a nice even colour.
- Top the dessert with berries and cinnamon stick.
- Alternatively, you can layer the snow with three different flavours and serve chilled.
10) Grape, Banana and Snow Cup
- Snow – 1 ½ Cups
- Unsweetened Cream – ¼ Cup
- Sweetened Grape Pulp – 2 oz. or 4 tsbp.
- Banana Flavour Essence – 2 oz. or 4 tsbp.
- Grape fruit for garnish
- In a large mixing bowl, pour unsweetened cream, grape pulp, banana essence and mix nicely.
- Once done, add the snow slowly until you get a soft creamy flaky texture.
- Before serving, garnish the snow cone with grape fruit.
11) Oreo Cookies Shaved Ice
- Snow – 1 and 1.2 cups (10 Ounces)
- Condensed Milk – 4 tbsp. or 2 oz.
- Vanilla Extract – 8 tbsp. or 4 oz.
- Oreo Cookies – 3 -4
- Take a zip lock bag, place the cookies inside, seal it and with a rolling pin crush the biscuits until they look like crumbs.
- Now take a large bowl, add the cookie crumbs, vanilla extract and condensed milk. Stir the ingredients evenly.
- Start to add the snow little by little until everything is properly mixed and you have your expected snow cream.
- Alternatively, you can also create a layered snow cone by adding the ingredients in the following order: Oreo cookies – crushed snow – condensed milk (1/2 quantity) -Vanilla essence (1/2) – Oreo cookies. Repeat procedure to add another layer.
Few things you should take care while…
Ok, although I have given the simplest methods on how to make snow ice-creams, you might get it wrong if you don’t take care of certain things.
The recipes best work with fluffy and unpacked snow. So scoop the snow and place it in a large bowl. Do not pack it as it will harden. Also, snow ice creams does not taste or appear appetizing if they are stored in freezer. They are to be served and relished immediately or if not, then you can place the bowl, covered it with a lid, in the snow until you serve. Additionally for best results, pre-chill the mixing bowl.
You can also recreate your favourite version of snow ice cream with different ready made syrups.
Hope these recipes add new flavour to your winter days. Let me know which one is your hot favourite. Do try them all as they are extremely simple and easy to make.