The process of deforestation has started centuries ago. Human beings started cutting trees for non-forest uses like farming. Later, people started clearing forests to build an urbane living for themselves.
Now, it’s getting out of control, where the ecological balance has gone for a toss.
Following are some of the shocking deforestation facts that’ll definitely leave you terrified about the future!
Deadly Deforestation Facts That Makes Everyone Anxious about Future
With Forest’s covering over 30% of the total land area of the earth, the current rate of deforestation will engulf all rainforests from the earth in the next 100 years. This means, only 10% of the forests will remain intact on earth by the end of 2030.
The rate of deforestation is alarming at 1.5 acres of forest land cut down every second. This equals an area of 20 football fields!
According to NASA, only 30% of the heat is radiated to space by the ocean. The remaining 70% is radiated by land, atmosphere, and trees
Excess heat in the earth surface could melt the icebergs, raising the sea level. This could eventually drown the landscapes in the end!
Trees play a crucial role in absorbing greenhouse gases. Hence, Deforestation becomes a major contributor to global warming.
About 25000+ of living species are in the threat of becoming extinct within the next 25 years.
According to a report, around 13 million hectare forests in South America, Africa, and South East Asia is converted to agriculture land every year.
With half of the world’s tropical forest has already cleared, 4000+ acres of forest are cleared every hour!
More than 2 billion people are depending upon forest for their daily livelihood.
Europe, U.S, and Japan alone consume around 70% of total paper production in the world, a substantial contribution to deforestation.
Industrialized countries consume 12 times more wood products than developing countries.
Trees, being the root of the ecosystem; deforestation can shatter the ecological balance.
Deforestation encourages soil erosion, leading to considerable damage to the fertility of the land making the soil impotent.
Farming tops the chart with 24% to cut down the forest for agriculture purposes.
Almost 80% of the total world’s animals & plants reside in the forests, cutting down of trees will lead to mass destruction of these species & their habitat.
Climate change is directly driven by deforestation, thereby greatly disturbs the peace that we don’t even realize!
Water cycle of the environment is also greatly affected, as the trees form a major part in the absorption of rainwater in the ground.
Once in a 5 minute, a species becomes extinct.
An average human being consumes 370 kilos of wood per year.
According to a report, the utilization of wood products will jump to 50% in the next 10 years.
Even though many nations have designed a forest policy to conserve forests, the outcome is nowhere when compared with the rate of deforestation as it’s almost more than 1000 times higher.
Almost 120,000 Sq.Km of landscape other than commonly known deserts is falling under the dessert category as of now. This is roughly equal to the total area of Mexico!
In Africa alone, about 36 countries are affected by desertification. More than 75% of the land is becoming infertile.
We are approaching towards a major life threat to all the lives in the planet.
Deforestation – “The silent killer” is slowly poisoning our life quality day by day when we think we’re safe and comfortable.
Remember one thing; you can have Plan-B, but there is no possibility for a Planet-B. Start making the difference. Let’s leave this earth a better place to live in the future as well.
A must share to save Future!